166 posts
17 Apr 2024 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Jason Diffin on the new 2024-2025 Banzai's:

robbo1111
NSW, 631 posts
21 Apr 2024 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like all the other Goya wavesails (Guru, Eclipse, Fringe) are no more and they are just having a few different versions of the Banzai.

Jericoa
5 posts
21 Apr 2024 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

What about the 2024/2025 Goya/Quatro boards ? Any news?

Cuchufleta
166 posts
21 Apr 2024 11:59PM
Thumbs Up

Sizing pretty much the same, shape wise nothing dramatically different just a sensible evolution of the current shapes. But a pretty big step in weight reduction (on paper). So for example : the 2022/2023 custom 4 94 weighs 6.83 kg the new shape should come in at 6.1 kg.

Al1
51 posts
22 Apr 2024 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

My 2022 Custom4 94L weights 7.3 kgs, so a good half kg over the catalog weight !
The usual with Cobra constructions
So with that in mind I could reasonably expect a 2024 94L quad to possibly be around 6.6kgs (.?)

The Quatro/Goya are all supposed to be lighter this year, closer to custom weights (I'll believe it when I'll see it though)
Other big news : I heard the slotbox is on the way out after only 1 generation of boards using it, with a rumored evolution of the US box to replace it. The Goya Quad is a tiny bit wider this year, and slightly thinner.
Overall shape very similar, still yellow.

The Quatro Pyramid looses the swallow for a pintail. Just like the 2024 Tabou Da Curve.
White deck and red bottom.
The Cube still with a squashtail I think.

Prices are not supposed to rise too much (if at all ?), at least in Europe I heard. wait and see !

sprayblaze
152 posts
22 Apr 2024 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al1 said..
My 2022 Custom4 94L weights 7.3 kgs, so a good half kg over the catalog weight !
So with that in mind I could reasonably expect a 2024 94L quad to possibly be around 6.6kgs (.?)

The Quatro/Goya are all supposed to be lighter this year, closer to custom weights (I'll believe it when I'll see it though)
Other big news : I heard the slotbox is on the way out after only 1 generation of boards using it, with a rumored evolution of the US box to replace it. The Goya Quad is a tiny bit wider this year, and slightly thinner.

The Quatro Pyramid looses the swallow for a pintail. Just like the 2024 Tabou Da Curve.

Prices are not supposed to rise too much (if at all ?), at least in Europe I heard. wait and see !

''My 2022 Custom4 94L weights 7.3 kgs, so a good half kg over the catalog weight !
So with that in mind I could reasonably expect a 2024 94L quad to possibly be around 6.6kgs (.?)''
Yeah, absolutely. Can't believe until I see it. After being seduced into buying so many boards there was only one time when stated and real weight overlapped. And that was not the Goya brand for sure.

Jens
WA, 342 posts
22 Apr 2024 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al1 said..

That's good news! I love the 22/23 range but I ended up glassing in the rears on my C4 94 after brushing into an unexpected dry part of the reef at extremely low tide. Not enough to catapult me, far from it, but still enough to rip the screw out and damage the box superficially. Because the structural integrity of the board & boxes were still fine, I decided to glass the fins in rather than go through the rigmarole of taking the boxes out. It's worked fine, but means that I'm stuck with my asy left hander arrangement (no big deal, they're all lefts here) but more importantly means I have to be super careful about not damaging the fins too much from here on in. So I'm very happy to here that Goya is going back to the future and re-introducing the US box.

Anyone have any links to the new range?

Cheers, Jens

AlexF
494 posts
22 Apr 2024 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Weightwise it seems that the earlier batches are a little heavier than the later produced boards regarding my experience.
I recently got a Quad 104 which ist just 70 gramms above spec.
The new Quad 104 has the same width and ofo, but is about 5 cm shorter and should be 0,9 kg lighter (6,4 kg).
Definitely an option for me to buy but only until spring '25 since i just got the "old" 104, which i'll check if it works as an one-board-solution for me, coming from a Nitro 106 and a C3 98.
Alternativly the new C3 99 looks nice too, it has the same lenght and width like the recent model, but gained about 2 cm ofo what should give it a little more stabilitiy and lift for lighter winds. And it is speced 6,1 kg. Nice.

Cuchufleta
166 posts
25 Apr 2024 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

The new Quatro Pyramid

Source: U-Ride.net/forums

Hanstholm
57 posts
26 Apr 2024 1:24AM
Thumbs Up

Honestly I don't like the new design but maybe is just a personal thing. From my point of view our sport lives from bright flashy colours and colourful images. The new the design seems a bit bland. I hope I'm the only one because someone need to sell those boards for at least 2 seasons. After the boards of the last four years, I also wondered whether the weight of the boards had put anyone off buying them, as the durability to weight ratio was great. Who wants to hang at the beach and do ding repair while the conditions are firing. Perhaps my comments are a little too provocative, but somehow it had to be said. Maybe the boards look better live.

sprayblaze
152 posts
26 Apr 2024 4:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hanstholm said..
Honestly I don't like the new design but maybe is just a personal thing. From my point of view our sport lives from bright flashy colours and colourful images. The new the design seems a bit bland. I hope I'm the only one because someone need to sell those boards for at least 2 seasons. After the boards of the last four years, I also wondered whether the weight of the boards had put anyone off buying them, as the durability to weight ratio was great. Who wants to hang at the beach and do ding repair while the conditions are firing. Perhaps my comments are a little too provocative, but somehow it had to be said. Maybe the boards look better live.

Yeah, designs and graphics are getting stranger, maybe not a bad thing. Imho the weight thing is the cornerstone. Boards heavier than 14 lbs are less agile. On the other hand making them lighter means higher grade materials, higher costs, more control, more warranty issues. Last not least -craftsmanship. Current working force in windsurfing facilities is not so skilled compared to previous. But this is is only my opinion. So beware if planning to buy a new board, not an easy task-think, compare, read reviews, if possible test and hope for the best.

Grantmac
2068 posts
26 Apr 2024 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

I like that look, they aren't afraid to show the laminate schedule. Most Starboards I've seen are half putty under the paint.

Cuchufleta
166 posts
27 Apr 2024 2:14AM
Thumbs Up

I loved the bolt colors of the 2020 Quatro's. I had the green Cube and just sold the blue Power. So when they came out with the all white 22/23 range I was a bit underwhelmed (looks wise). I got the Cube 106 and I have to say the all white has grown on me. Simple, understated. And the board is fantastic, in the end what is most important!

The new 24/25 graphics are growing on me as well, at least we get some color back. The boards, until now, have been bomb proof. Let's see how the new, lighter, ones hold up. I will be receiving my Power 114 coming week, curious how it will compare to my previous Power 115. Both in behavior on the water and durability. Will report back as soon when I've put it through it's maiden voyage.

Nerdburger
NSW, 305 posts
28 Apr 2024 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

I like the look of the new Goya and Quatro boards (but always subjective), interesting they have gone back to US boxes for all fins? I've got 3 x Quarto's in the 2023 white and black graphics and love the look of them and more importantly sailing them. I would have thought they would upgrade front straps to 2 screw design to minimise twist and relying one screw for the strap. The new Goya custom looks fabulous in the pics.

Cuchufleta
166 posts
29 Apr 2024 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

The video that I started this thread with has been put behind a wall.... but here is a link to the new sails: www.surfshop.fr/windsurf-134/voiles-142/voiles-windsurf-vague-freestyle-143#/fabricant-goya

chalinh
1 posts
30 Apr 2024 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

How can we get access to the Jason Diffin interview?

Cuchufleta
166 posts
30 Apr 2024 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

When the good people of Goya decide to officially release the video I guess.

Here is a transcription of the video:

Hey everybody Jason Diffin here, sail designer for Goya wind surfing and I'm super stoked to share with you our new wave concept so the new thinking here is Banzai is the foundation design of this wave range.

Banzai is the cornerstone it's the fundamental sail that from this overall performance we've tuned two additional ways: Banzai surf a little more turny a little more comfortable and Banzai Max, maximum range. The core of this concept is all three of these models work everywhere the new idea that I really want people to get their head around is you don't choose the sail according to the condition you choose the sail according to how how you want it to feel when you're riding in any condition in the world.

The most common question: what's the onshore sail? They're all the onshore sail! Which one's the power sail? They're all power sails they can all be rigged with tons of power.

Jason, what if I'm a really small Rider? I have small Riders on Banzai 11 on Banzai Max and on Banzai surf, it just depends on how you want the power delivered. Oh I'm 200 kilos, I must be on the power sail, they can all be rigged powerfully.

I have some really large riders that prefer Banzai surf for the quickness and the maneuverability it brings on high volume boards.

Here we have Banzai 11 shown in the X version xply window, this is the foundation of our Banzai group design concept this is Browne's everyday ride, this is the model he competes on.
This is the sail he uses all over the world this is the fundamental core of our design power speed and control.

Here we have Banzai in the surf model. The surf model is enhanced maneuverability and comfort feel when riding this sail is appropriate for any rider, anywhere; could be for high wind light wind it's just how you want the power to deliver. The clew's lower it's a more relaxed stance than an upright stance and the boom is shorter so it has a quicker turning radius

Here we have Banzai Max; This is the five Batten version of the Banzai concept five battens means more stability with that additional batten, more range and that's where the name comes from. Max being maximum maximum range the sail is very stable it can be rigged very powerfully, it can be rigged to be more maneuverable, it can fit in anywhere. There's there's no limitations to where you can take this sail

And here it is all three of the Banzai group models Banzai 11 Banzai Max and Banzai surf

Cuchufleta
166 posts
3 May 2024 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Adam Lewis on the new Goya boards (thanks Habu for the link):

Check for more info: 2xs.co.uk/new-quatro-goya-kt-foiling-gear/

sprayblaze
152 posts
4 May 2024 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

I have been on goya/quatro wave boards for some years/mainly goya/after switching from another brand. I was hooked by the shapes. Great boards, some have been my favourites / quatro pyramid 71 2018, goya 80 quad 2017/ some not very much so.. But I guess it is like with everything. After that I had issues with weight - 400-500-600 g ! over than stated, surface irregularities, fin cracks / red ones/ etc.- things that I connect mainly with the Cobra production process. While mentioning this- prices steadily grew higher and higher to the point that I switched again to another brand.. Now -bells and whistles again-1 kg lighter !!! wow. Should I again plunge into my previous passions.

Taavi
263 posts
4 May 2024 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

Being a Quatro and Goya distributor since 2008 I haven't weighted all the boards we have sold, but I have used quite a huge number of different boards myself over all these years, and the weights of these have usually went a few hundred grams either way. The new construction and finishing indeed stands out. The new 81 L Pyramid for example (with straps and fins attached) is lighter than my custom Quatro Quad 86 L (ultralight construction) with fins and straps.

Custom Quatro Quad fin 86 L with fins and foot straps (and double screws in the front as well and some extra glue for the deck pads and a bit of epoxy here and there - it's a 5 year old and well used board):

Pyramid thruster 81 L with fins and foot straps:

My scale says the bare board itself (without the fins and foot straps) is 140 grams over the stated 5.6 kg. The promised weights tolerance is 7.5% I believe. Perfectly fine I think.

HappyG
VIC, 292 posts
4 May 2024 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like Goya has updated their site with the new gear... Its funny as it comes in and out but you can see the new gear....

Cuchufleta
166 posts
6 May 2024 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Quatro also has their new boards up on their website:

quatro1994.com

SchobiHH
57 posts
6 May 2024 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cuchufleta said..
Adam Lewis on the new Goya boards (thanks Habu for the link):

Check for more info: 2xs.co.uk/new-quatro-goya-kt-foiling-gear/

so nothing new as it is it the usual "the boards are so much better this year, faster, planing earlier, turnier and of course 1kg lighter..... Probably my surfing went worse that during the same year, because I usually can not recognize so much of a difference from year to year.
The industry is silly. If a board is so much lighter from one year to the other than all the years before they made something wrong, or the next year they will have tons of reclamations.

Fluppy
8 posts
11 May 2024 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

A few infos on the weight of the new Goya wave boards: the construction remains unchanged!
compared to 3 years ago it is about 1 kilo less weight

no more stickers makes 150 gr less
new "custom " boxes about 100 gr each
no more spray paint but colored resin is another 300 gr or more savings
some small things: shorter mast track, lighter pads.

the shapes have fewer changes from year to year so the performance will improve slightly (hopefully :) )

of course the : earlier planing, tighter turns etc. are marketing tools as every company does.

SchobiHH
57 posts
11 May 2024 3:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fluppy said..
A few infos on the weight of the new Goya wave boards: the construction remains unchanged!
compared to 3 years ago it is about 1 kilo less weight

no more stickers makes 150 gr less
new "custom " boxes about 100 gr each
no more spray paint but colored resin is another 300 gr or more savings
some small things: shorter mast track, lighter pads.

the shapes have fewer changes from year to year so the performance will improve slightly (hopefully :) )

of course the : earlier planing, tighter turns etc. are marketing tools as every company does.

so the boxes are as light as helium.... LOL.

Taavi
263 posts
17 May 2024 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

obijohn
127 posts
28 May 2024 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Wondering if anyone has sailed the new Goya Custom Thruster 4 yet, particularly in the larger sizes? I am considering the 99 for float and ride in the surf as well as early planing (for a waveboard) in light wind flat water.

Cuchufleta
166 posts
28 May 2024 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Managed to pick up my new Quatro Power 114, it will be replacing my Quatro Power 115 2019 (the blue one).

First impressions: looks good, great finish. Bit wider in the rear, last 30 cm. very sharp rails, less width overall, more parallel rails. Like what they did with the centerfin (see photo), bringing it forward in the box, so that it sits under the rear footstrap.

Weight, don't have a fancy scale here, just old fashioned analogue: complete with straps (3) and fins it comes in at around 7.3 kg. Compared to my previous board about 500 grams lighter, nothing spectacular but noticeable (on the dry).

I will be using this mostly on the North Sea, with 5.8 - 6.3 - 6.8.

Jericoa
5 posts
31 May 2024 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cuchufleta said..
Managed to pick up my new Quatro Power 114, it will be replacing my Quatro Power 115 2019 (the blue one).

First impressions: looks good, great finish. Bit wider in the rear, last 30 cm. very sharp rails, less width overall, more parallel rails. Like what they did with the centerfin (see photo), bringing it forward in the box, so that it sits under the rear footstrap.

Weight, don't have a fancy scale here, just old fashioned analogue: complete with straps (3) and fins it comes in at around 7.3 kg. Compared to my previous board about 500 grams lighter, nothing spectacular but noticeable (on the dry).

I will be using this mostly on the North Sea, with 5.8 - 6.3 - 6.8.

Very Nice Board Cuchufleta ! On the 6.8 you are going to use, what is the Boom Length ?
Cheers!
I am thinking also to buy either the 114 or the Goya 125, I would prefer the 114 over the Goya to be Honest , but I have a GATOR 7.5 with a Boom of abt 198....

Cuchufleta
166 posts
2 Jun 2024 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Jericoa. I 've been using an Ezzy Zeta 6.8 on my old Power 115 and will be using it on the 114. The Zeta 6.8 has a boom length of 180 - 190. Never felt like the sail was too big for the board.

Not sure a Gator 7.5 would be a happy pairing with this board, not having sailed the 114 yet but heaps of time on the previous 115. I think that you would be better of with the new Goya One 125. Then again what other sails are you thinking about using on this board and, if you do, what other boards do you have? When in doubt, ask the people at Goya. (Or Quatro)

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Goya 2024/2025" started by Cuchufleta